Boston Surgery Center First in State to Perform Total Joints through the AMSURG Total Joint Replacement ProgramDownload This Case Study
A multispecialty surgery center located in the Boston, Massachusetts market, Boston Out-Patient Surgical Suites performs 9,400 annual procedures as a specialized leader in orthopedic procedures.
As the healthcare industry continues to evolve and transitions more procedures to an outpatient surgery setting, Boston Out-Patient Surgical Suites realized they needed a solution to add total joint replacement procedures to remain a cutting-edge orthopedic surgery leader.
Louis Bley, MD
“When we set out to develop our outpatient joint program, our partnership with AMSURG provided key support in the establishment of new pathways and technologies for patient support and communication. The resources and support AMSURG provided helped ensure our clinical success in developing a prosperous program.”
In partnership with their centers and surgeons, AMSURG developed a comprehensive, high-quality total joint replacement program designed specifically for ambulatory surgery centers to deliver the best care for total joint replacement patients.
By partnering with AMSURG, Boston Out-Patient Surgical Suites utilized the organization’s tools and resources to develop a clinical pathway that took their total joint patients from the physician’s office through their surgical experience to post-surgical home care and therapy. These tools include:
- Evidence-based best practices for patient safety, successful outcomes and operational efficiency
- Center protocols and standardized care pathways (TJR Program Playbook)
- Center assessment checklist
- Proforma and case costing tools
- Policies and protocols
- Patient consent forms
- Patient education guides
- Physician orders
- Patient-focused proprietary protocols that address the entire care continuum
- Rapid recovery programs with patient-facing support
- Data collection and analysis for constant improvement in outcomes and satisfaction
With the assistance of AMSURG’s resourceful playbook and guidance, Boston Out-Patient Surgical Suites has implemented a successful total joint replacement program for their patients.
- First ambulatory surgery center in Massachusetts to perform total joint replacement procedures.
- Patients benefit from an atmosphere that is comfortable, efficient and carries a much lower cost and reduced risk of infection than the traditional hospital setting.
- Performed more than 75 total joint replacement procedures and counting, including hips, knees and shoulders.
- Average recovery room stay of 150 minutes.
- Patients recover where they are the most comfortable: in their own home.
More Case Studies
AMSURG Model Increases Endoscopy Center’s Anesthesia Financial Performance by 33 PercentRead More
AMSURG Vendor Contracts Reduce Surgery Center's Medical Supply ExpensesRead More
Patient Payment Estimator Significantly Increases Surgery Center’s Upfront CollectionsRead More